Hope you all had a wonderful July 4th Holiday!
So skin care, what's it all about? Is it worth your time? Your money? What's really something to take note of and what's gimmicky?
Whether you are on a tight time or financial budget I have some suggestions for you. I will go over the how's and why's and then you can decide for yourself.
Of course I'm recommending Clinique because that's what I use and what I believe in. Yes, I do work for the parent company, Estee Lauder but I've used Clinique for 20+ years and can confidently recommend them as a brand, the science behind their development, allergy testing and "claims" compares to no other line.
So here we go:
The Full Routine (2x day)
(listed in order of use)
- Rinse Off Eye Make Up Solvent - This is my favorite eye make up remover, I have very sensitive skin and this does the job without irritation. (Clinique sells another option, Take the Day Off Make Up Remover for Lids, Lashes and Lips but I'm not a fan of the residue it leaves behind, I will say it does work better though!) Let's be honest, there are a million ways to get eye make up off, cold cream, baby oil, make up wipes, tons of different choices out there. This isn't something where you need to spend lots money to get the job done.
- Rinse Off Foaming Cleanser - Great option to dissolve and remove make up before cleansing your skin. Again, there are tons of options out there. If you are on a budget choose whatever works for you. Take the time to remove your make up. Sleeping in makeup is horrible for your skin and will increase pore size over time.
- Liquid Facial Soap - This is cleaning your skin, not removing make up. You wouldn't take a shower with your clothes on, wash your body with soap, expecting to get your skin clean, right? Take your make up off and then cleanse your skin. It's two steps. This formula will prepare the dead skin cells at the surface to be swept away by your next step. ;) I am sure there are drug store options that will work but I believe this is the best.
- Clarifying Lotion (Level based on your skin type) - This product is unique to the Clinique line and let me tell you WORTH EVERY PENNY. It's NOT a lotion, its NOT a toner and its NOT an astringent. It is a liquid exfoliant. It is amazing and every thing you do for your skin will be more effective if you are using this consistently. Wet a cotton ball and sweep this over your entire face excluding eye lids and lips. (You will immediately feel a clean, cool, tingling effect) This sweeps away dulling dead skin cells allowing your pores to stay smaller, prevent breakout, allow your skin to better accept moisture and treatment and give you a healthier, cleaner surface.
- Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion + or Gel - Worth it? Yes. Buy it. Buy it now. Use it today. This is not a traditional moisturizer, this replenishes the skin's moisture barrier, creating a balance between oil and water at the surface. It improves the skins ability to hold moisture and prepares the skin to receive treatment products. You can compare your skin to a sponge. A damp sponge being healthy skin. If you are trying to soak something up off the counter you would get the best results with a damp sponge. If you used a dry sponge, you'd be pushing the liquid around. When you are spending big bucks on treatment serums and creams you will get the most value if the skin is ready to be penetrated!
- Serums - The big guns. This is where it gets optional and personal. In my case my two biggest concerns are lines/wrinkles and large pores so those serums gon on my skin right after my DDML. I am not going to make this a commercial for Clinique power hitters but these have made a noticeable difference for me and measurable difference in lab testing on many women. These are your power players and if you have serious concerns with lines and wrinkles, pores and/or dark spots and uneven skin tone, please stop by a counter and get educated on what you are missing out on. The results compare to prescription ingredients and dermatological procedures. Well worth the money if you have the concerns I mentioned above.
- Booster Moisturizers - This is where your skin gets the moisture if you need it. Clinique has several to chose from with treatment formulas that both moisturize and treat issues. I love the Youth Surge but this is something where you can spend or splurge, your choice!
So there you have it. That is my routine. That is what I believe in. Take the time, you deserve healthy skin. You deserve to look younger than you are.
You can substitute many products but the Clinique 3-Step Skin Care System really is the best. Read more about it by clicking here.
The non-negotiables, in my humble opinion are the Clarifying Lotion and the DDML+ or DDMG
If you have a concern or multiple concerns you want to be using a serum as the treatment. This will give you maximum results in minimum amounts of time. Many of us nearing the 40 year mark have concerns with lines and wrinkles so my top recommendation would be the Repairwear Laser Focus Wrinkle and UV Damage Corrector.
From the Clinique Website:
Potent serum gives every skin a second chance against lines, wrinkles, sun damage. In 4 weeks, see obvious reduction in lines, wrinkles, improved texture. At 12 weeks, the visible wrinkle-reducing power is remarkably close to a dermatological laser procedure. 63%, to be exact.
Learn more about the serums Clinique offers by clicking here!
Of course I cannot say this enough. If you buy ONE product, if you have time and money for only one thing make it SUNSCREEN.
Did you hear me? SUNSCREEN SUNSCREEN SUNSCREEN!!!
There is no better way to prevent the signs of aging, don't leave the house without it. Broad spectrum 30 or higher. I don't care if you have a deeper skin tone, if it is winter, if your foundation has sunscreen in it- all invalid excuses. Make it any brand, any price- just please USE IT EVERY SINGLE DAY and don't forget the tops of your ears!!!